Do you find yourself wishing to spend more time in the woods? Do you dream about visiting far off lands and wandering around. If you are one that imagines spending long hours in the outdoors then the hobby of backpacking is for you. Backpacking is the experience of walking out into the wilderness, usually following a trail and then surviving with the food and shelter you carry on your own back.
There are a number of items you will need if you intend to try backpacking.
- Tent: Unless you are on one of the few trails that have shelters along them, you will need a tent to provide shelter to sleep in, provide a barrier in areas with heavy mosquitoes, and a place to keep your stuff dry and your self warm. Backpacking tents usually have space for one or two people. A good sleeping bag and sleeping pad are also needed.
- Stove: In order to cook your food you will need some kind of stove. backpacking stoves often burn white gas, but many lighter-weight stoves burn denatured alcohol. A good stove will provide you with hot meals, a most needed addition to a cold day on the trail. In addition to your stove you will need a pot and a spoon to eat your meal.
- Water filter: Some people prefer water treatment such as iodine but a good water filter will provide you with good tasting water from a source that you can find along the way. Along with a water filter you will need a water container.
- Map and compass: Every hike into unknown territory requires a map. It is best to read up on the area you will visit and plan for the unexpected.
- Clothing and a pack: Along with sturdy shoes and a good set of clothes, and rain gear, you need a backpack to carry all your stuff.
There are more items, but this will get you started. Be safe.